As I have said before, Decision Management is a lot more than decision-making. What decision management capabilities would a world-class organization demonstrate?
- Proactive decision management: Launch every project or business initiative by framing the entire strategy as a Decision Breakdown Structure (DBS) based on a proven decision pattern. Use the DBS to isolate the make-or-break decisions and allocate brainpower accordingly.
- Massively parallel thinking: Use the DBS to drive massively parallel distributed thinking, while maintaining continuous requirements (cross-constraints) and roadmap (solution timing) alignment among these decisions. Reduce time to market/capability by 10X.
- Scalable decision analysis rigor: Tailor the rigor and effort applied to each decision based on its priority.
- Continuous innovation: Use every decision as a potential innovation node. Use optimization, synthesis (from the criteria) and hybridization techniques to innovate within each decision. Build multi-decision innovation scenarios.
- Decision visibility: Use the DBS as a collaboration framework that makes decisions visible to all, builds continuous buy-in and eliminates second-guessing and decision churn.
- Harvest decision patterns: Turn every decision into a learning cycle and harvest decision and criteria patterns as the organization’s primary knowledge asset.
- Integrated, simplified business processes: Use the DBS as the knowledge framework to simplify business processes. Dump the gates; focus on the value-creating decisions between the gates and capture all other knowledge in context of these decisions. Eliminate standalone roadmapping, requirements management, risk management, portfolio management and project management processes; they are all manifestations of decision management.
- Really simple tools: Do all this with the easy-to-use web-based Decision Driven® Solutions Framework (DDSF). Avoid spreadsheetitis.
Amazingly this is all possible today for any organization that commits to grow a world-class decision management capability enabled by the Decision Driven® Solutions Framework (DDSF). You can start a DDSF trial today. Please contact the Decision Driven® Solutions team at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.