This week I provided an overview and demonstration of the Decision Driven® Solutions Framework (DDSF) to an individual who mentors numerous entrepreneurs and who also serves in an advisory role on the board of directors for multiple start-ups and high-growth companies.
When I showed him the Decision Breakdown Structure (DBS) canvas and the associated Decision Summary Report (table view of all decisions, their priority, status and committed/considered alternatives), he said “It’s all about transparency“. Based on further discussion, what he meant was:
- Entrepreneurs have many critical-to-their-future decisions to make.
- They often don’t know what they don’t know.
- The current media (business plans, presentations and financial documents) they use to share their business status with their mentors and board members don’t highlight very well the state of the decisions that will create their future.
- Decisions are the leading indicators of future business success or failure.
- Entrepreneurs are sometimes resistant to coaching and afraid of transparency – this further hides critical decisions from their advisors.
- Mentors and board members have lots of knowledge that would help the entrepreneur – if they could plug it into the start-ups’ decision model proactively.
- These advisors would love to see a summary of the Top-10 decisions that the entrepreneur is facing in order to provide timely advice from their rich experience.
The Decision Driven® Solutions Framework (DDSF) is an easy-to-use collaboration framework that gives the stakeholders in any business visibility into the decisions that will drive the success of the company. Stakeholders/collaborators can review the company’s Decision Breakdown Structure, load a view that contains the recently-made and open decisions that will create the future value of the business, assess the decision rationale and provide timely comments to help the entrepreneur.
If you play an advisory or governance role to a start-up or high-growth company, please investigate the power of decision transparency. Please contact the Decision Driven® Solutions team at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.